Santa Cruz - joins City.
SANTA CRUZ SEALS MOVE TO CITY
Mark Hughes felt it was vital for Manchester City to snare Roque Santa Cruz.
The South American completed a £17million move from Blackburn after a lengthy medical earlier on Monday.
It was Hughes' second big signing of the summer, following the arrival of Gareth Barry from Aston Villa.
And, while the City chief has already highlighted Barry's leadership qualities, he is convinced Santa Cruz can be just as important an addition to a swiftly improving squad.
"It was really important that we signed him because it's an area of the squad that we have needed to address for some time," Hughes told the club's website.
"The qualities Roque brings will be of great benefit.
"His ability in the air and his physical presence are things we have been missing. But he also has technical ability and good pace for a big man.
"He is a very good player and one I know well from our time at Blackburn."
It is the form Santa Cruz showed during his first year in England after Hughes signed him from Bayern Munich that City fans will be hoping to see at Eastlands.
The Paraguay forward, who is set for his third World Cup campaign next summer, scored 23 goals in 43 appearances, compared with just four in the Premier League last term, when he was badly affected by knee problems.
City had to be satisfied those injury problems were a thing of the past before committing such a hefty fee to Blackburn coffers, with Santa Cruz equally delighted the news was good.
After being heavily linked with a move to City during the past two transfer windows, Santa Cruz is relieved not to suffer another disappointment.
"I know the kind of football Mark Hughes wants to play and the kind of character he is - he's a winner, he wants to make things happen and be successful," said Santa Cruz.
"Those are always my thoughts as well, so knowing what he wants was a big factor in coming here, because I know the club is going in the right direction.
"I know his staff and the kind of training they will have the team doing, so everything was very attractive for me."
Santa Cruz spoke with chief executive Garry Cook and chairman Khaldoon al-Mubarak before agreeing to the move and was impressed by their response.
Now he can't wait to get started.
"The owners want the club to be more successful - they want to break into the top four, and the fact that the fans are so passionate about everything to do with City was also a factor," said Santa Cruz.
"I am very motivated to play for these fans.
"I spoke to the chairman and I know his ambitions are known to everybody at the club - he made sure that I know as well. It was a good conversation. He wants the best for the club and to give something back to the fans."
Santa Cruz added on Sky Sports News: "The main idea of the owners and the gaffer is to take the club as far as possible.
"I think everybody expects a lot and the fact the club are signing big players, great players, shows we want to be as good as possible.
"Everybody is talking about breaking the top four so once we get there, we need to keep looking forward and see what is the best we can get."
According to Santa Cruz's father Aproniano, the striker has signed a five-year deal with City.
"By signing this contract, we can confirm Roque is a man of Manchester City,'' he told Paraguay radio station Purofutbol.
"He signed a contract that runs to until 2014, but the formal unveiling will be arranged in a couple of days.''
Aproniano Santa Cruz also revealed that his 27-year-old son will most likely remain in Manchester to continue treatment on his troublesome knee.
Santa Cruz missed a large part of last season with the complaint and had planned to return to his homeland to continue his rehabilitation.
"The club are deciding what Roque's next move will be - whether he goes back to Paraguay or whether he completes the remainder of the treatment at the club,'' he said.
"The most likely outcome is that he will stay in Manchester for better attention.''